Thursday, February 18, 2010

Method Man, Ghostface, & Raekwon speak about the state of Hip-Hop



I can appreciate this. For a rapper to think that lyrics don't matter is CRAZY!! But at the same time...I think Jay-Z said it best..."I dumb down for my audience to double my dollars, they criticize me for it yet they all yell 'holla'! If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be, lyrically, Talib Kweli, Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense; (but I did five mil more) and I ain't been rhyming like common since. When your sense got that much in common and you've been hustling since, your inception, fuck perception go with what's makes sense, and since I know what I'm up against, us as rappers must decide what's most important"

I don't think all rappers truly take lyrics for granted...and if they do...that's sad. I think they are just giving realistic evaluations of themselves. But longevity tells who should be around and who shouldn't. Consistency...and history shows guys only get better...or disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment